A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth. It covers the tooth to restore its shape and size, strength, and/or to improve its appearance.
A dental crown may be needed in the following situations:
- To support a weak tooth with a large filling
- To restore an already broken tooth
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- For aesthetics to cover a discolored or slightly misaligned tooth
- To cover a dental implant
Temporary crowns are needed while your permanent crown is being made. It is important to let your dentist know if you temporary becomes loose or falls out to prevent sensitivity or complications.