Removing a tooth is done to help with crowding or to eliminate tooth pain.
To prevent and/or minimize infection, it is important to see a dentist immediately if you are having tooth pain. Your comfort is our priority therefore we want to to help you relieve the pain. Before treatment, your dentist will give you a local anesthetic to numb the area and we also offer nitrous oxide sedation to help patients relax during the experience.
It is important to remember that once teeth are taken out, replacing them prevents future complications. Options to replace missing teeth include implants, bridges, or dentures. Our dentists can help explain the best treatment option for you!
Please follow these instructions to care for your surgery site:
- Apply ice on cheek or jaw area of your extraction. Use the ice for 20 minutes ON and 20 minutes OFF for 2-3 hours.
- For at least 48 hours DO NOT: smoke, use a straw, drink alcohol or hot liquids, blow your nose or spit excessively.
- Do eat a soft diet for 24 hours.
- Bite on gauze for 30 minutes after the procedure and if bleeding continues.
- If discomfort or bleeding continues or worsens please call for a reexamination.
- Take all medications according to the instructions.
- The following day, start rinsing with warm salt water (1/4 tsp. of salt to 1 cup of water) every 4 hours for 2 days.
- If you have any problems or questions, please feel free to call the office at (217) 228-1085.